Professional Development Funds Available: Information You Need To Know:
Based on available funding, CCR&R is offering funds to support individual pursuit of professional development in early care and education and school-age care. Funds are provided by the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS).
Download Professional Development Application
1. WHO CAN APPLY?
· Individual practitioners currently employed by center based programs and family home programs that provide care as defined by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (IDCFS). Individual practitioners include child care center directors, early childhood teachers/assistant teachers, school age teachers/assistant teachers, family home providers and assistants. In addition, child care center support staff (cook and driver) when appropriate (e.g., food sanitation course, first aid).
· Applicant must be a current member of the Gateways to Opportunity Registry. Registry membership is free. Practitioners may sign up for the registry at www.ilgateways.com.
· The child care program/provider must be listed on the Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) referral database and must currently provide services in one of the following Illinois counties: Will, Grundy, Kendall & Kankakee.
• The child care program/provider must have no unpaid financial obligation to the CCR&R agency or the IDHS Bureau of Child Care and Development.
2. WHAT CAN FUNDING BE REQUESTED FOR?
· Registration fees associated with conferences/workshops not required by ExceleRate Illinois.
· The conference/workshop must be off-site from your place of employment and must be related to early care and education, school-age care or child care administration/management.
• Fees associated with webinars/online training that is Illinois Gateways to Opportunity Registry-approved.
• Travel/Transportation cost.
• Lodging cost.
• Costs associated with the following credentials:
º Child Development Associate (CDA) www.cdacouncil.org
º Certified Child Care Professional (CCP) www.nccanet.org
º Gateways Illinois Credential (IDC, ECE, ITC) www.ilgateways.com
3. WHAT CAN’T FUNDS BE REQUESTED FOR?
· College tuition assistance. Tuition assistance is available through the Illinois Gateways Scholarship Program. For information on Gateways tuitions assistance visit www.ilgateways.com or call 866-697-8278.
• Workshops required under the ExceleRate Bronze, Silver or Gold Circle of Quality. Visit www.excelerateillinois.com for a complete listing.
· Conferences/workshops in which the CCR&R is the fiscal agent (i.e., registration fees are paid to the CCR&R).
· Special events during a conference (e.g., concert, recognition event, reception, etc)
• The cost of meals (unless included in basic conference fee).
· Out of state conferences/workshops.
· Conferences/workshops in which the primary focus is political advocacy and/or sectarian (religious) instruction.
· Advisers, Consultants or Mentors.
• Substitute care.
• Membership fee to a professional organization.
4. WHAT ARE FUNDING MINIMUMS/MAXIMUMS?
• The minimum request is $15.
· The maximum funding amount per event/credential is 80% of the actual cost, as funding allows; and
• The maximum funding amount available per person is up to $700 per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).
· Additional information is on the application, Step 2.
5. WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
· Individuals complete and submit an application along with the required supporting documentation (see question 6).
· As applications are received, priority is given to programs currently caring for children whose care is paid for by the Illinois Department of Human Services Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP), with greater priority given to those with 25% or more of their enrollment consisting of IDHS funded children. However, you do not have to serve IDHS funded children to apply.
• The CCR&R will notify you in writing if your application has been approved or denied, and if approved, the amount in which your request was funded.
6. WHAT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION IS NEEDED?
Italicized items are required at the time of application. Remaining documentation is to be submitted to CCR&R within 30 days of the event date and/or completion date.
· Proof of Gateways Registry membership (i.e., copy of membership ID, or Professional Development Record).
• Announcement and/or outline and description for conference/workshop/online course. Announcement must include fees /cost and sponsoring entity.
• W-9 form (the form is available at www.irs.gov).
• Credentials: written timeline with dates that describe how you will reach your goal of obtaining a credential.
• Receipt/proof of payment for registration and/or credential fees.
• Documentation of attendance/completion.
• If applicable confirmation/receipt for lodging and/or transportation costs (train, bus).
• If applicable printout documenting trip mileage (e.g., Mapquest, Yahoo Maps, etc.)
7. HOW IS PAYMENT MADE?
· You will be notified in writing if your application has been approved or denied, and if approved, the amount in which your request was funded.
· Payments will be made and mailed directly to the individual, credentialing body, or child care program named in Step 3 Payment Information Section of the application.
· Individuals/programs that receive payment will be responsible for W-9 documentation and taxes.
• Payment cannot be made until a complete application and required documentation is received.
8. WHAT IS THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING MY APPLICATION?
• Ongoing as funds allow.
• Year end deadline: applications and all supporting documentation must be received at CCR&R by May 27, 2016.
10. WHERE ARE APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED?
· Child Care Resource & Referral (CCR&R) / 801 N. Larkin Ave., Suite 202 Joliet, IL, 60435
fax # 815 741-4638 / email@example.com
10. FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO ANSWER FURTHER QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT:
· Tamara Notter (815) 741-1163 Ext. 226
11. DO THE FUNDS NEED TO BE REPAID?
· This is a grant program, which means funds do not generally need to be paid back. However, the grant funds come from the State of Illinois, and certain policies and procedures must be followed.
· In the event that payment is made for a conference/workshop, but you or an alternate are unable to attend, the provider/child care program will need to work with the CCR&R regarding the return of funds.
· In the event that payment is made for a credential and the individual withdraws from the process, the individual/child care program will need to work with the CCR&R regarding the return of funds.
• In the event that payment is made for a credential and the individual withdraws or does not complete the process, the individual/chidl care progrm will need to work with the CCR&R regarding the return of funds.
· In the event of over or improper payment or reimbursement, appropriate arrangements will need to be made with the CCR&R regarding return of funds.
12. WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
• Application and activity must occur within the current fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).
· Only completed applications will be considered.
· Applicants must use the provided application for July 2015 – June 2016.
· Faxed/electronic applications will be accepted.
· Funding is limited and not guaranteed.
• Maximums are in place, however partial funding may be awarded.
· Payment cannot be made until a complete application and all required documents are received.